Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Informal Theme #4: A-not-so-happily-ever-after ending.



"Romeo & Juliet", every time I hear this title or phrase, there is only one thing that pops-up in my mind, A Love Story. Whenever talking about Shakespeare, Romeo & Juliet was always the first book they say. It was too popular to people. Even though, they tell they're opinion on this masterpiece, that it was good, awesome, one of the greatest stories and etc, I still didn't have the thought of reading it. 

At first, the only thing why I bought the book was for a "Requirement". I'm really not fond of reading books, but when started reading the first act, I smiled. It was the time I told myself "Wow. Lol. Ang galing.". It was catchy. Yes they say that this piece was a tragedy. A very sorrowful ending. But still, until the end of the book, too much excitement were there for me.



What if I had a chance to change the ending of Romeo & Juliet? I wouldn't bother to edit or replace even a word of it. Though Shakespeare ended it in a tragic scene, he still managed to make it an awaited event for the readers. Their death made a lot of  solutions for Verona. Peace was there, and the feud between their family, Capulets and Montagues were finally over. It took their beloved son, and daughter to commit suicide, for them to end the war, the killing, between each other.

Between Romeo and Juliet, they faced, several, tons of problems. Involves, life and death. But still, They managed to be together, to be married, to be in each other's arm. This doesn't only prove the quote "Love conquers all" but also a contrast to the line "'till death do us part".


No comments:

Post a Comment