"Farewell kid, I hope you will study hard for your subjects from now on." he shouted and waved at me.
There he is. Sir Euclid, the father of geometry. One of the greatest mathematician in history. Sir Euclid was also the one who worked on perspective, conic sections, spherical geometry, number theory, and rigor. His words inspired me, not only to work harder for my grades under mathematics subject, but also in chemistry, and history.
*earlier that day*
"Good Morning sir!" As I saw him sitting on the bench at the park we agreed to meet on.
"I'm really really sorry if I came late! Twas still early, but the traffic was a disaster!" I explained myself to him, knowing that it was such an embarrassment to invite one of the world's geniuses and be late.
"No, no, no kid, I came early. No need to be sorry for." he says smiling as I smiled back to him.
He stood up the bench and we started to go for a walk around the corner.
"Somethings bothering you?" He says.
Well, I can't hide my problems to him, he's like a thousand and one year old man, sure he knows when students have problems.
"Um, it's just that, you know, the same old ordinary student problems, grades, project, and laziness." I replied.
"Well you know, I think that's the world's biggest problem that no one can solve yet, laziness. Haha!" He joked to cheer me up.
"I guess so, umm, could you give me some of your advice to overcome laziness?"
"I guess all I could tell you is have an inspiration, and dedication will follow. :)" He says.
"You know kid, we need to start those subjects from the basics, like in mathematics, mathematics started from patterns, or we could say abstract, which led to the understanding of the four major operations, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, and led again, to more sophisticated topics. Look, they are all connected, like food webs and food chains. You just need to boost up your memory and if possible, remember every single detail in your topic for each subject."
"But sir, we have plenty subjects yet one mind, I think its hard to remember every single detail of it every day." I replied.
"The human mind is full of spaces, we need to fill them up so dust wouldn't be able to do it. Just believe in yourself that you can do it, and try connecting the dots." as he glanced his hands to air, demonstrating how wide is the human mind of ours and gave me a wink after.
After that, I was silent, he is too. I think he was giving me the time to think about what he said. But after some minutes we talked again about such things like his other works and he briefly discussed to me the famous, "Euclid's Elements" before we say our goodbye to each other.
"Sir, thank you for the time, and I hope I could bring my friends with me and hope you could tell your stories to them, too!" I smiled at him, he gave me a nod as I enter the bus headed home.
"Farewell kid, I hope you will study hard for your subjects from now on." he shouted and waved at me.
-end-
No comments:
Post a Comment