Saturday, October 6, 2012

Informal Theme #5: Small Cheer and Great Welcome makes a Merry Cheer

The Comedy of Errors is on of Shakespeare's earliest plays. It is also his shortest and one his most farcical comedies. The story tells about two sets of identical twins that were accidently separated at birth. Antipholus of Syracuse, along with his servant Dromio of Syracuse and Antipholus of Ephesus with Dromio of Ephesus.

At first, I was very confused with the Syracuse at Ephesus. I even wrote in my notebook the differences between the two for me to keep up on the scenes of the Comedy of Errors. Their names were really confusing. I even asked myself why is Shakespeare very thrifty in names? I couldn't help on asking my seatmates if my understanding of the reporting is the same as theirs.

After the long discussion about the scenes in Comedy of Errors, it was indeed a comedy. everything that threatens the laughter is eliminated at the end. It is not only the characters' confusion that is relieved by the final scene, in which the "errors" are explained and resolved; all the darker, unpleasant issues are resolved, as well. Even though this is one of the shortest piece of Shakespeare, its still on of the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment